When a married couple or two parents decide to end their relationship, it is very common for one party to desire or need to relocate to a place where they have family support and/or where they can afford housing. Parents who have been separated often face the need to relocate if their employment status changes or they need to pursue further education outside of California.

Unfortunately, the process of moving out of state with the children can be very difficult and legally complex. If the other parent does not agree, then the matter must generally be decided by the Court in what is commonly known as a “move away” request. But, obtaining Court approval can be very challenging and can require adequate justification.

The Law Offices of Matthew Smurda is experienced in such move-away cases and represents its clients in their requests to move and/or defending against the other party’s request to move.